Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Beans Basil and Corn

I didn't put any more tomatoes in today since we had a frost warning last night.  But now I plan to put the rest of the tomatoes and peppers in tomorrow.  Anyhow, I marked out the pepper row and then proceeded to plant one full row of dragon tongue beans (from my own seed), one row of basil, and 3 rows of sweet corn.  This leaves one row open before the garlic, which I'm not sure what I will do with yet.

From left to right, two rows of solanaceous, 1 row of dragon tongue beans, and three rows of OP sweet corn, 12 row improved Golden Bantam.  Last year I grew Double Standard and it turned out poorly.

I took the team in and worked up the clover ground to the West of the garlic.  I used the drag with just two 9" sweeps, and it did a good job.  Probably 75% of the crowns have been cut now, which makes me feel much better.  This red clover is so tough and it's really a far reach for my tiny team to dig it out.  The plow job was poor, since that plow is just outclassed by tough sod and also because it has been so wet.  Today it was still too wet in the lower parts, but it had to be done.  I want popcorn and flint corn to go in here, preferably right now.  But it will take two weeks for the clover to decompose and to finish working the soil.

This is the lowest part of the garden, the far West strip.  Here I ran the sweeps through the wheat cover crop and got a start on it.  This strip will take cucurbits, which hopefully won't mind being cooped up on their flats for another 2-3 weeks.  It was also too wet to work in here, although we still made about 8 passes through here.

No comments:

Post a Comment