Anyway, the below picture shows Sammy's front hooves before I started working on them. His rear hooves are in need of a trim, but are in a manageable range. Apparently, they were trimmed a few months ago but the fronts were not done at that time.
|Condition of hooves on May 17 before I did any trimming|
|Hooves after first trim. I managed to lower the heels a bit and back up the toe maybe 1.5"|
I went back 3 days later and took even more off. FWIW, he is clearly carrying his pastern in a more normal position even after the first trim, so I feel this is doing him some good now. As long as I am taking off more than is going to grow back on I feel like I will win this battle.
|After the second trim on May 20. I was more confident this time and made a real change to the heel height and angle of the pastern. Despite the gross distortion still remaining, I feel he is able to walk at least a bit normal after this trim.|
I did Sammy's third trim on June 15, a full month into this. I am finally getting down into semi-normal hoof that I can pare down with my knife when I get tired of rasping. You can see at the toe that the whole thing is weirdly hollow and we are still months away from the toe really touching the ground properly. The white at the toe is just old sole and laminae. You can see I am both backing up the toe and removing some flare at this point.
|Right fore after June 15 trim|
|Fronts after trim on June 15|
Here are the fronts after a trim on July 27. In retrospect I think I could have taken them further down.
Here is Sammy after a trim on October 25. He finally has a halfway normal sole and some straight growth. I am kicking myself for not doing this trim a month earlier though. At any rate it was a joy to see him moving and running away from me when I arrived for the trim. He looks so much better now!