Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Stumping

Over the past week I pulled dozens of small stumps as part of one more garden expansion.  This work can be very, very tough and I was grateful that my body was healed enough from hernia surgery that I could do this.  Cool mornings made for good working weather and after about 4 days another 15' a 120' section was clear.  This is basically the last strip of land available in the area that I have fenced in for gardening.  It is good high ground and I have high expectations for it.  However, this year it will only be cover cropped for soil building.  It takes a substantial investment of time before the residual roots are rotted away enough so that the soil nitrogen is not all tied up in carbon decomposition.  I hope to plant prior to rains coming next Monday, and re-till sometime in middle to late summer.






No comments:

Post a Comment