Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Planting Spuds and Veggies

April 18, one of the first passes over the 2015 vegetable area that will be seeded to Spring grains.

Another view of the East strip, planted to vegetables on the 18th.

My seed potato was pretty far gone but I think it will be OK.  My furrows are pretty shallow and I think that helps in my cold wet soil.

Furrow opened up with the 6" plow, ready for seed potato.


A view of the East strip.  You can see the allium row (leeks and onions).  Further over is spinach, snap peas, bok choi, beets, carrots, radishes, turnips, brussel sprouts, brocolli, and lettuce.  This ground was newly opened in 2015, but it looks pretty good.

Here are the two rows of potatoes after being covered up.  This strip of oats and peas from last year does not look as good as I had hoped.  There were a lot of weeds and some sod to dig up, and it frankly could use more time.  But since potatoes get hilled so many times it is easier to manage weed pressure.  This ground will get some corn in a month, and that will buy me some tillage time.






No comments:

Post a Comment