Monday, April 18, 2016

Historic Spring Wheat Testing

April 18 was the first day it was possible to get in the field this year.  Naturally, rain is in the forecast so there is no time to waste!  I had more historic wheat to test, plus some other grains to mess with.  

From the USDA small grains collection, I had packets of Marquis, Red Fife, and Sturgeon.  Sturgeon is a UW-Extension selection of Marquis from the 1930's.  Surrounding this I drilled in 4 rows of Marquis, 2 rows of Red Fife (the smelly, damaged stuff from Appleton), 2 rows of Kamut/Khorasian wheat, 2 rows of Barley, and a good spread of naked oats.  I basically covered the mixed vegetable ground from last year with wheat, oats, and barley.




In the new strip on the East end (was buckwheat, then oats & peas), I put in mixed vegetables in full and half rows.   Spinach, peas, bok choi, beets, carrots, radishes, turnips, brussel sprouts, brocolli, and lettuce I think.  Tomorrow I hope to get some leeks and potatoes planted, before it starts raining in the afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment