Monday, September 28, 2015

Winter cover crops in place

The West strip was plowed and then disced by the full team.  Plowing was pretty good and it was satisfying to pull out some old rotting tree roots.  However, as usual there are always a few skipped spots.  At this point I don't know if that little plow does as much good as a thorough digging with the 9" sweeps and judicious use of deep cover crops.  It will be interesting to see if this ground can be brought up to the standard of the higher and drier areas of the garden.

Here is how it looked after discing.


I broadcast Turkey Red winter wheat and a small amount of hairy vetch on 9/27.  Unfortunately I could not source enough vetch in time for a full planting.  I am going to broadcast all winter hardy cover crops this season, in lieu of drilling them in.  The drilled in rows were difficult for me to terminate this year.  I hope that the sod will be more dispersed in a broadcasted crop.  Also, I'm planting wheat in lieu of rye in the hopes that it will be easier to terminate.  After broadcasting I grabbed Sebastian and pulled the drag over once.  There is some rain in the forecast but not as much as I had hoped.



No comments:

Post a Comment