Monday, July 11, 2016

Spring Street Harvest

The Turkey harvest on Spring Street was an epic undertaking.  I started out Monday morning, July 11, with my IH-330 tractor and IH-76 combine.  The tractor immediately started causing trouble and I spent the next few hours doing various attempts at fixing it.  Ultimately it turned out to be a plugged up screen in the carburetor, but of course I did not know that at the time.  It was hot and not much work was done.

My friend Brian very generously showed up with his excellent Ford 800, which we hooked up to my IH-76.  After about 100 feet the pitman broke.  This turned out to be a 24 hour fix as I broke two more and eventually got the cutter bar adjusted well enough to cut wheat and not the pitman.  By the time I had it vaguely working, Ron was finishing up the field on Tuesday morning

Ron had his rig running by Monday afternoon and he got to work around 4 pm and worked until dark.
Ron making the second pass around the field, late on Monday.

One of two pitmans I built int he basement over the course of 24 hours, in addition to patching one of them twice!
Here is the IH-76 discharging the 10 or so bushels it managed to take off the field, in two days of trying.

Brian pulling up with his excellent Ford 800 tractor, to replace my wheezing International 330.  This machine gave excellent service and was well matched to my IH-76 combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment