Saturday, June 4, 2016

More Replanting

The USDA samples in the middle of the plot.  Left to right, Turkey, Wisconsin No. 2, and Bacska.  The Bacska is taller than any of the wheat in the field.


Parsnip experiment.  These giant parsnips were planted last July and never quit.  But the roots are getting all woody and only the outer portion was edible.  It was actually quite good, but I don't think it will catch on.  I ate it like corn on the cob and consumed the soft, sweet flesh on the outside.  BTW, asparagus this year has been a total bust.  The plot was not doing much, and the housesitter did not pick it very cleanly while I was gone.  So when I got back it was all 3' tall, and I pretty much decided to let it go and rebuild at that point.  My 2015 and 2014 plantings are also doing blah--weak and small.  Not sure what's up.

First greens!  Beet thinnings for my morning scrambled egg.

Once again I am replanting in the new section.  This soil is not as far along as I had hoped.  The bok choi and other cabbage family stuff is coming up very weak and slow.  Spinach has been planted twice and I don't think I have seen a single seedling emerge.  Today I put in radishes, kale (row we are looking at), and parsnips to finish out the allium row at the top left.


Ehmke Turkey is lodging.  This is weird--we only had a light rain and little wind.  Also, I don't consider this to be a very fertile part of the garden.  It happened after 1/4" of rain fell over the course of a couple hours today.




No comments:

Post a Comment